A reverse mini-bang is a variation on a fandom big bang: it's still a collaboration between artists and writers, but this time the art inspires the fic (the "reverse") and the stories are shorter (the "mini"). For SPRMB 2014, we're asking authors to come up with a story of 1,500 - 10,000 words.
SPRMB 2014 TIMELINE
December 3-10: Author sign-ups
December 13: Author assignments sent
January 10, 2015: Fic due
January 14: Mini-bang reveal!
- You do not need a LiveJournal account to participate! If you don't have one, you may post your sign-up anonymously or using OpenID, or make an account here.
- We will also accept sign-ups via e-mail at spbigbang @ gmail.com. Please use the subject "[SPRMB 2014] Author-sign up."
- If you dropped out of SPBB 2014 after the deadline or if you failed to respond to our attempts to contact you, we regret that you are not eligible to participate in SPRMB 2014, unless choosing to pinch hit (see below). SPBB 2012-3 drop-outs, the statute of limitations on your ban is expired. Welcome back.
- SPRMB artists are welcome to participate as authors, though you will not able to write for your own artwork.
- At least one (1) South Park fan fiction, to be based on an artwork to which you're assigned according to your preferences.
- We will list descriptions for available artworks on a sign-up post that will be available for one week beginning Wednesday, December 3.
- The selection process is based on identifying information about each picture; the actual illustration will be sent to authors with their assignment.
- Authors will be required to list at least five (5) stories they prefer to write. There will be a maximum of eight (8) stories authors prefer not to write.
- We will do our very best to give everyone something from their "want" list, but it may not be possible to accommodate everyone. We promise not to give anyone something from their "unwilling" list.
- If you wish to submit multiple stories for your SPRMB artwork, feel free, so long as each story adheres to these guidelines, i.e. 1,500-10,000 words per story, not total.
- All characters should be from South Park (series/movie/both). No crossover characters. No original characters.
- You may include characters who don't appear in the art, but the emphasis should be on the ones in the art.
- Your fic must reflect the spirit of the artwork.
- The story should respect the romantic/friendship/gen classification in the art info. If the artist has indicated "both/either," it's open to author interpretation. If the artist has specified one or the other, the story should respect that.
- Your final submission should be finished-quality work. It should have been looked at by a beta reader.
- If you cannot find a beta reader, please contact us at southparkbigbang @ gmail.com and we will do our best to help. Also consider consulting spbigbangbetas.
- Minimum length: 1,500 words. Maximum length: 10,000 words.
- Format: .doc or .docx only, please.
In the event that an artwork has no assigned author, we will need a pinch-hitter to step up and write a fic for that artwork, possibly on short notice.
- If you are signing up to write for SPRMB and wish to be a pinch-hitter, please indicate this when you sign-up.
- For this event, we are accepting pinch-hit only author sign-ups here. If you wish to sign up to pinch-hit only, please use the pinch-hitter form in the SPRMB author sign-up post. If you dropped out of SPBB 2013 or signed-up and failed to meet your commitment, signing up to pinch-hit will redeem your eligibility for future SPBB events.
- There is no obligation to take a pinch-hit assignment.
- Finished fics are due January 10, 2015.
- Please send your completed story as an attachment to southparkbigbang @ gmail.com.
- Please use the subject line: [FIC] - your name.
- Please also be sure to include your name in the name of the file.
- Please be sure to include the Story Submission Form (sent in the sign-up confirmation email).
- We're very sorry, but we are not granting extensions for this event.
- If you need to drop out, inform us immediately.
- Please be aware that if you drop out, there is a chance you may be banned from future SPBB events.
- The challenge of SPRMB is to write a short story based on an artwork over a one-month period. If you suspect for any reason that you may not be able to meet the challenge, consider sitting this one out and joining us for SPBB 2014.
- Art and stories will be hosted at the official event website.
- Please wait until one month after the archive opens to post your full piece yourself (again, we'll e-mail once you're free to post).
- Wherever and whenever you post when the time comes, we ask that you include mention of SP Reverse Mini-Bang and a link to the archive, as well as a link to the artwork on which your story is based. Keep in mind that if posting to AO3, you can embed artwork in your text!
Remember, sign-ups close next Wednesday, December 10. If you have any questions, please send an email to SekritOMG (SPRMB author coordinator) at southparkbigbang @ gmail.com.
Ready to sign up? Join us here!